For those of you living in the valley it has started to warm up, some have even turned on their ac units already. The weather channel says it may drop back down to 80 but will remain climbing for the most part. Getting use to the heat again especially after the hail storms we have had lately can be a shock to our systems. Cooking a meal over the stove in your kitchen does not sound like a great way to spend the evening every night.
Why not try a healthy salad? There are many options for great salads, one could even put something together from whats in the fridge. This recipe for spinach salad is great for your heart, kids love it. If your child is young enough they are not keen on the lettuce, leave that off and they will devour the salad.
Heart healthy spinach salad
- goat cheese (mozzarella or feta cheese will work)
- pecans (or walnut)
- your choice of additional berries
Mix all together with a tsp of oil and 1/2 tsp of balsamic vinaigrette for 2 servings, will be lightly covered.
- Spinach- presence of minerals such as: potassium, manganese, zinc, magnesium, iron and calcium. presence of vitamins such as: folate, niacin, vitamin A, B6, C and traces of rest of the vitamins. There are traces of others as well.
- Strawberries- High fiber, folate, no fats and high anti oxidants such as vitamin-C and those phytochemicals (Flavonoids) create a heart healthy food. They also will reduce cholesterol, lowering blood pressure, and increasing brain function.
- Mushrooms- They are rich in calcium, iron, potassium, copper, and selenium, great to help shed a few pounds as well.
- Tomatoes- benefits behind a tomato is one that is considered a wonder fruit, or vegetable depending on who you ask. There are so many benefits including to your heart.
- Goat cheese- low in fat and cholesterol, great for brain developments, a great source of protein and calcium
- Raisins - great source of fiber, helps bones, and eye care.
- Pecans- great source for many vitamins, minerals and a great antioxidant
For more information on the benefits of each item click on the links to see more detail.