Parenting and teaching has changed since the Baby Boomers day. Generation Xers and those born in Generation Y have been told how wonderful they are since they were very young. Parents and teachers were reluctant to do anything that might “hurt” their self-esteem. Because of this it is critically important in healthy workplace cultures that feedback is used to keep employees informed of their performance.
Feedback must be balanced in order for the workplace to remain healthy with fully engaged and contributing employees. It is easy to give negative feedback because this type of feedback typically follows some sort of issue. It could be a customer complaint, obvious mistake or a reprimand of the department or department head of the employee’s supervisor.
No manager should allow themselves to fall into the trap of responding only to the negatives because a continual stream of negative feedback leads to disengagement and dissent.
Care should be given to applaud an employee immediately following the delivery of a completed project, meeting of a goal or compliment share with the supervisor by another employee.
When presented as a blend of positive and negative feedback over a period of time employees will know exactly what aspects of their performance need to be improved and which are their most valuable assets.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Recommended books about workplace cultures
- True Alignment: Linking Company Culture with Customer Needs for Extraordinary Results
- The Great Workplace: How to Build It, How to Keep It, and Why It Matters
- Change the Culture, Change the Game: The Breakthrough Strategy for Energizing Your Organization and Creating Accountability for Results
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons ideal for building leadership during staff meetings. Paperback, Kindle, Apple or Nook.
Additional resources about cultures
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.