In the contemporary management style individual and team responsibility is important. Team members perform best with the assurance they have specific goals or responsibilities to attain and the support to achieve them.
Saying someone is responsible is one thing but actually demonstrating responsibility has been delegated is quite another. Too many managers will say it is someone’s or a team’s responsibility to reach a goal but then micro-manages or criticizes decisions on a regular basis.
This criticism and over-involvement stirs up an air of lack of responsibility and leads to a lack of accountability at both individual and team level.
Individuals and teams need to be able to take full accountability to truly have full responsibility. This means they need to be able to be able to take credit for the good they do but also be able to confess mistakes and problems without fear of retribution.
The attitude of a true leader in high performance and healthy work culture is that any problem or mistake should result in the manager’s pledge to help find a solution.
As Henry Ford said, “Don’t find fault, find a solution.”
Giving responsible is admitting that mistake happen in any workplace but management is there to stand behind all employees.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Recommended books about workplace cultures
- True Alignment: Linking Company Culture with Customer Needs for Extraordinary Results
- The Great Workplace: How to Build It, How to Keep It, and Why It Matters
- Change the Culture, Change the Game: The Breakthrough Strategy for Energizing Your Organization and Creating Accountability for Results
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons ideal for building leadership during staff meetings. Paperback, Kindle, Apple or Nook.
Additional resources about cultures
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20 different categories of culture.
- Cultural Faux Pas is an interesting quiz about marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Quizzes allow you to test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.