Before saying anything else it is important to say unequivocally that the headline does not refer to the consistency of the ice cream sold through the world by Baskin-Robbins. In fact their ice cream is consistently good and constantly has a smoothness throughout. Instead the headline refers to the 31 flavors they serve, which change from month to month.
Although the 31 flavor concept has worked well to make them one of the world’s largest ice cream purveyors it is not a concept that can be a part of any healthy business culture.
Too many companies change their goals and objects on a monthly basis, or even more frequently, making them more like “flavors of the month” than corporate direction. Even at Baskin-Robbins the flavor of the month is relegated to the ice cream for sale, not the company vision.
Successful workplace cultures have long range goals that are consistent through the months. Having a three- to five-year plan is essential to a healthy workplace culture. Employees like consistency. They work harder and with a better attitude when they know their efforts fit into a longer plan. When an employee continually works toward a goal only to have that goal changed midstream they become disenfranchised. The organization loses the commitment of those individuals and will not see the success evident in healthy workplace cultures.
By the way, have you ever really looked at the Baskin-Robbins logo? The 31 flavor concept has been so successful it is subliminally in their logo. Take a moment and look for it.
© Max Impact, used with permission.
Complimentary resources about cultures
- What makes up the contents one’s character? More than 20 different categories of culture are available at Cultural bridges.
- Marketing mistakes are often humorous. Cultural faux pas is a webpage with a group of marketing mistakes made by others.
- Culture Bridges are a look at the contents of the character within each of us. Information is contained on more than 20
- Completely complimentary (no email or credit card sign-up required) employee training materials offered by Max Impact.
- Increase your cultural awareness with a series of culture quizzes test your cultural IQ with fun and informative quizzes.
Recommended books about workplace cultures
- True Alignment: Linking Company Culture with Customer Needs for Extraordinary Results
- The Great Workplace: How to Build It, How to Keep It, and Why It Matters
- Change the Culture, Change the Game: The Breakthrough Strategy for Energizing Your Organization and Creating Accountability for Results
- “Life’s Leadership Lessons”: 53 anecdotal leadership lessons ideal for building leadership during staff meetings. Paperback, Kindle, Apple or Nook.