It’s the first of June, so the questions about Father’s Day 2014 have begun! When is Father’s Day? How and when was Father’s day created? What does dear old dad really want this year? Which TV dads are the most beloved? Stick around and educate yourself on all things about Father’s Day 2014.
Father's Day is observed:
The third Sunday in the month of June is Father's Day. Here are the dates for the next five Father's Days:
- This year, Father’s Day lands on Sunday, June 15, 2014.
- Sunday, June 21, 2015
- Sunday, June 19, 2016
- Sunday, June 18, 2017
- Sunday, June 17, 2018
Five historical facts and trivia about Father’s Day:
- Originally thought up by Mrs. John Dodd while listening to a sermon based on Mother’s Day in 1909.
- She was raised by an only father, as her mother passed during childbirth. Mrs. Tood wanted Father’s Day to be celebrated on June 5 which was the date of her father’s birthday.
- Sharing her idea with the YMCA and a group of ministers, they loved the idea; but needed more time to prepare a proper sermon on the father figure.
- The first Father’s Day was celebrated on June 19, 1910.
- Father’s Day did not become a nationally recognized holiday until then President Richard Nixon signed a law in 1972 declaring Father’s Day as the third Sunday in June annually.
Five great places to find dad the perfect gift
- Personal Creations This website has all kinds of fun and useful gifts for Dad that can be personalized.
- Brookstone This store has been a favorite for many years. They have lots of unique gadgets and man toys.
- Bombay Company The Bombay Company has really nice and unique merchandise and their price are fairly reasonable as well. They also have lots of fun desk toys to help dad think during a busy day.
- Home Depot, Lowe’s Home Improvement and Ace Hardware Men and hardware or home improvement stores go hand in hand. If you can’t decide what to get, a gift card is perfect!
- Restaurant.com If there is a restaurant the dear old dad loves; get him a gift card through restaurant.com. In some situations, you can get a $25 gift card for ten bucks!
Five great TV dads
So which TV dads are ranked as the best? Well, it all depends who you ask. Several different surveys vary, but here is a short list of beloved TV dads based on an unofficial poll on Facebook.
- Dr. Heathcliff Huxtable (The Cosby Show)
- Commissioner Frank Reagan (Blue Bloods)
- Jack Bauer (24)
- Ray Barone (Everybody loves Raymond)
- Charles Ingalls (Little House on the Prairie)
Are you ready for Father’s Day? June 15, 2014 is right around the corner and will be here before you know it. Try to think outside the box this year and pick out a gift your dad is not expecting. It’s always fun to see that look of excitement when someone opens a present that they were not expecting!
Happy Father’s Day to all the great dads out there!
Thanks for reading Raleigh Etiquette! Click here to subscribe to this column and you’ll get an email each time a new article is published.
Do you ever wish you had the chance to write articles about things that interest you? Look into Examiner! It’s a great way to make some extra money and it’s a lot of fun. Follow this link and see if it’s right for you!