Switching to a healthy lifestyle can be challenging. It involves a major life decision much like buying a house or a new car. Change comes with a price, but like the saying goes - no pain, no gain.
Below is a list of some of the pitfalls you may encounter along with some strategies for success when trying to maintain a raw vegan lifestyle.
- Temptation to eat cooked foods is inevitable especially since people have spent their lives eating them. Luckily, you can make cooked food in a dehydrator. The basic ones are inexpensive and the recipes could provide the satiation that you seek from the cooked foods you were used to.
- There will always be people who try to sabotage your progress with their negativity. Unless you are a recluse, these folks are inescapable. So, limit your presence around them. Find positive people who are supportive of your journey. Even if they are not following the same path, they can help to keep you motivated.
- Lack of meal planning makes you reach for things that are readily available and once that door is open, it’s hard to close. Being intentional about your meal prep is key to your success. Try making a variety of different snacks and dishes on the weekend so that when you get hungry, there is something homemade and healthy already prepared.
- Getting children to embrace unfamiliar foods can be hard. You have 2 options: make your food separately while still trying to incorporate new items into their menu or get them involved in preparing the meal. Chances are if they see how it’s made or have helped to make it, they may be more reluctant to eat their own creations.
- Failure to vary meals gives rise to boredom and may make you want to throw in the towel. No one wants to eat the same salad everyday for lunch or dinner. Have a few go-to meals that you make regularly and like. Then try new recipes each week to add to your library. Also, experiment with more salad variations and learn to make your own healthy dressings too.
- Quantity of daily food intake can be a major pitfall. You are used to the standard American diet and this lifestyle is drastically different. Are you consuming too little food because you don’t understand portions or are you devouring too much of the ‘gourmet’ foods (items that have too much fats)? Listen to your body; it speaks. Then watch Youtube videos of raw vegans who show what they eat daily to get an idea. Be gentle with yourself. After all, Rome wasn’t built in a day, so allow for trial and error.
With every major change comes pitfalls/challenges, but you’ve got to roll with the punches if you plan on making any headway. So please be encouraged.