A Happy New Year to all. Judging from the correspondence I receive from readers, the restaurant that far and away captures the fancy of foodies is — drum roll — McDonald’s.
Sad but true. Despite the fact that this column focuses on all New York restaurants (all 24,000-plus), the Golden Arches still fascinates and delights on an unparalleled plane. The article that generated the most page views all-time was one on why McDonald’s burgers never look as good as the ones in the picture. Before the Facebook likes counter was reset following a network glitch, some 4,100 readers had expressed their approval.
Nor is the obsession with Mickey D’s limited to New Yorkers. Not by a longshot. The McDonald's Corporation website reports that the chain boast more than 33,000 restaurants in 118 countries. In the U.S. alone, there are better than 14,000 restaurants.
If you are among those who are “lovin’ it,” it is time to test your knowledge about the McDonald’s brand. But while we’re at it, let’s extend the test to other fast food purveyors as well. The following 14 questions about fast food restaurants worldwide. See how many you can answer before flipping over to the answer sheet at the end of the slideshow. (Note: You may want to hold off on browsing through the slideshow period until you have finished. Some of the images carry spoiler alerts.)
- In what country you can buy a McDonald's Bacon Roll.
- What product does McDonald's sell in its stores in Germany that is unobtainable elsewhere in the world?
- In what country can you buy the McDonald's Bacon Potato Pie?
- Because of a copyright conflict Burger King is known by a different name in Australia. What is it?
- In what nation does Burger King carry a Black Truffle Angus XT?
- What unusual ingredient is found in Frosties at Wendy's in the Philippines?
- What is the name of the 1-lb. burger not listed on the menu at Wendy’s that can nevertheless be ordered?
- What was the unfortunate phrase that resulted from KFC first efforts to translated the slogan "finger lickin' good" into Chinese?
- What are Mashies and what fast food chain sells them at selected locations?
- Chinese KFCs sell a version of what familiar Chinatown staple rice porridge?
- In what country did Taco Bell fail twice after advertising itself as a purveyor of "authentic American food"?
- What beverage is sold in Taco Bell in China?
- What menu items is offered at Taco Bell in the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico and Canada that is unavailable in the U.S.?
- In what country will you find McDonald’s lone vegetarian restaurant?
So how did you do? Were you able to answer any? If your answer is no, console yourself by heading off to a McDonald's and drowning your sorrows in a chocolate shake.
- Why McDonald’s burgers never look as good as the ones in the picture (Photos)
- School secretary fined for using $3,000 of school’s money to binge on fast food
- Subway restaurant burglar foiled by his own potato chip trail
- Snackman: NYC’s snack-eating subway vigilante gets his 15 minutes (Video)
- FL hooker: ‘Will [blank] for cheeseburgers’
- Ronald McDonald violates restraining order, enters McDonald’s (Photos)
- Death row inmate goes out on full stomach, ingests 29,000-calorie last meal
- Obese man suing White Castle because booths are “too small”
- McDonald’s employee arrested for spitting in customer’s drink
- Customer has heart attack while eating aptly named Triple Bypass Burger
- Another day, another McDonald’s customer meltdown
- CA town attempts to ban McDonald’s on religious grounds
- The most persuasive argument against eating fast food you are likely to see
- Customers waiting for fast food unfazed by gunfire inches away
- Near deadly violence between employee and customers at NYC McDonald’s (Video)
- Teen charged in violent McDonald’s beating has prior arrest record