Council Bluffs, Iowa- The announcement that Google is opening a facility in Council Bluffs has established Iowa as a player in Silicon Prairie. Google’s decision to invest in Council Bluffs has made Iowa an even more attractive option to many young professionals. As a world class employer, Google is famed for a technology driven, creative working environment.
But what’s it really like to work at Google? Chris Russell, Google Council Bluffs Data Center Manager, says that the innovation of Google as a company has a profound effect on the way employees works. “Many employees use videoconference and chat on a daily basis to communicate with co-workers and customers."
Chris continued: “A typical day includes checking e-mail, brainstorming with co-workers, and air hockey. Our center is open 24 hours a day, so every keeps a pretty flexible schedule. "
A typical day at Google Council Bluffs might be like:
• Arrive at 8:30 am
• Catch up on email attend a meeting with colleagues from another of Google’s data centers over video conference
• Attend to responsibilities on the floor - fixing/replacing servers or performing maintenance on the cooling infrastructure
• Lunch with coworkers - lunch is catered in everyday from a local caterer, and features treats like ribs, omelets and cookies
• Quick game of air hockey, pool or video games. Try not to get caught in the crossfire of the Nerf Gun war!
• Check email, attend team meeting
• Visit the micro kitchen for a snack
• Back to work on the floor/grounds
• Head home for the day in time for dinner with family
Sounds like a pretty good gig. But what if you have a small business? Google has options for Iowa businesses to contract with Google as well. There are many several options for employees or contractors with technical skills. As of right now, there are four kinds of jobs available at the facility:
-Facilities (HVAC, maintenance)
-Systems administrators (software technicians)
-Support services via contract (security, logistics, catering, grounds keeping, etc.)
Google looks for individuals who demonstrate the potential to excel in intense computing environments
Specific skill requirements are listed on the Google jobs page
SocialWise Media Group is proud to announce that we will be partnering with Google Adwords to help local businesses advertise online. As a Google Certified agency, SocialWise Media Group will help companies manage their Google Adwords and Google Analytics accounts. In celebration of this new service, all new Adwords clients who like us on Facebook will receive $100 in Google Adwords for free. After you have liked us, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with Free Adwords in the subject line. Offer good through August 31st 2012.
Make sure and subscribe and get the freshest, latest Young Professional Des Moines News.