The Dade County Federal Credit Union in partnership with the Miami-Dade Public Library System is conducting the "A Day in the Life Essay Contest" And the September 15 deadline is just around the corner.
Got thing for writing, Miami-Dade High-Schoolers? Well, here’s a chance to make some money. It’s cash for college, guys and gals. Read on.
Seventy-five years ago, when a group of Dade County employees pooled $135 to form the Dade County Federal Credit Union, the world was a different place. There were no computers, no TV, and no smart phones or tablets. Not many people owned cars, and fewer still owned washing machines.
To commemorate the founding of Dade County Federal in 1939, they are inviting High School students (ages 14-18) to write a short essay contrasting a teen’s life in 1939 with life today. Essays could be in first or third-person, and written in the form of a direct “then-versus-now” comparison, a narrative description of a teenager’s life in 1939, a collection of diary or journal pages, etc.
Essays may include subjects such as recreation and communication, family life, chores and responsibilities, styles of dress, and the typical school day, and should demonstrate how family life and education have changed over the years.
- Contest is open to all high school students, ages 14-18.
- Student must have a social security number.
- Submissions must be accompanied by the Student Entry Form, and postmarked on or before Monday, September 15, 2014.
- Employee’s and immediate family members of Dade County Federal Credit Union are not eligible.
- All entries must include a Title Page containing:
- Student’s name, address, telephone number and last four digits of their social security number.
- List of all information sources identifying author, title and publication date. If information is obtained through interviews of grandparents, neighbors, etc., please indicate such and identify the person interviewed.
- One entry per student. No group entries will be accepted.
- Student essay must represent student’s original research, thinking and writing.
- Typed essay must be 750 – 1000 words double spaced, single-sided, in 12-point type with 1-inch margins.
- Entries will not be returned to student.
- Each student must email the official Student Entry Form on or before September 15, 2014. Student Entry Form must be signed by the student, parent or guardian and contain the student essay composition.
All essays will be judged by Pfeffer Marketing Group, PR Agency, and Senior Staff Officer of Dade County Federal Credit Union.
Judging will be based on:
- Grammar and punctuation
Two cash prizes of $1,075 will be awarded to two students in the form of scholarships or tuition assistance. The money can go towards tuition, and can also be used for any education related expense.
Click here for a pdf entry form. Good fortune and happy writing, guys and gals.