I know, you're looking at the title and going "huh?" Here is the story. When we first started to present this ultimate chocolate dessert at the restaurant one of our female guests exlamined, "this is better than sex!" When you consider that chocolate does containe natural elements which can release endorphines, it might actually be the female answer to Viagra! So... eat your chocolate and...
To present this dish in its pure orgasmic form, you must do both parts. First you must make the Chocolate Delirium Ice Cream and then you must make the Mexican Chocolate Shortbread. Quite obvioulsy both of these can be made ahead of time so you can enjoy your orgasm whenever you deem one is warranted.
For this dish you want to use only the best chocolate. I recommend chocolate with a cocoa base of at least 80%. Remember, the better the chocolate, the better the orgasm (almost like reality in a warped way). And when you are making the Mexican Chocolate Shortbread you will notice in the recipe I have a rather strange ingredient for this type of dish. To the batter of these cookies you will use chili powder! No, I haven't gone totally nuts. Chili powder or cayenne pepper brings out the pure taste of chocolate and is the secret ingredient many of the outstanding native Mexican (and Aztec, whom invented the use of chocolate) Chef's use in their award-winning chocolate creations.
Ingredients needed for Chocolate Delirium Ice Cream:
- 8 oz. dark chocolate with a cocoa index of 80%, chopped
- 9 egg yolks
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. vanilla
- Place the chocolate into a heavy saucepan over low heat (or a double-boiler) and let melt. Make sure the heat is on is low!
- In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks and brown sugar until pale.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the milk and cream and bring to the point where it just begins to simmer. Whisk in the salt and the vanilla.
- Lower the heat to lower and slowly whisk in the egg mixture. Continue whisking until the mixture has thickened (the whisk will leave trails).
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl and discard any solids left in the sieve.
- Slowly whisk the melted chocolate into the egg mixture.
- Cover the bowl and chill 2 hours.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream machine and churn 20 minutes.
- Serve the ice cream or if you want it more solid, freeze until ready to serve.
Ingredients needed for Mexican Chocolate Shortbread:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Tbs. vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp. espresso coffee powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbs. chili powder
- Pre-heat your oven to 325 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon sheet.
- In a mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until light.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the remaining ingredients.
- Add the dry ingredients into the mixer and beat just until it comes together.
- Remove the dough from the mixer, wrap in plastic and chill about 30 minutes.
- Remove the plastic from the dough and roll the dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness.
- Using round cookie-cutters or a glass, cut the dough into rounds. Place the rounds on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Place in the oven and bake 7 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet a few minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool before serving.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."