Skip to main content
Report this ad

See also:

A Car Collection for the ages

The Swigart Museum
The Swigart Museum
samuel hoff

The Swigart Museum exhibits Tucker #1013 Waltz Blue. The Waltz Blue has the distinction of appearing in the Francis Ford Cuppola movie The Man and His Dream staring Jeff Bridges. The auto collection also contains the VW from the “Herbie” movies.

These two cars are part of the museum’s display of 30 to 35 rare automobiles from the museum collection. The rare automobiles include a 1936 Duesenberg 12 cylinder Gentlemen’s Speedster, 1020 Carroll and a 1916 Scripps-Booth. It is the only museum displaying two Tuckers, a 1947 Tucker “Tin Goose” Prototype, and #1013 Waltz Blue.

Tucker automobiles were manufactured 1947-1948 completing only fifty-one cars. Although a technically advanced vehicle, the company folded in 1949 due to negative publicity. It was rumored the big three automakers played a role in its downfall.

Carroll Automotive Company of Lorain Ohio made The Carroll Six automobile. In production from 1920-1922 they completed about 600 two-door roadsters and four door touring sedans. Scripps-Booth was a US automaker producing automobiles from 1913 to 1923.

Complimenting rare automobiles are collectibles including automotive artwork, license plates, radiator caps, automobile lights, horns, bicycles, vintage clothing, spittoons and antique toys. Its collection of license plates and radiator emblems are considered to be the largest in the world.

The Swigart Museum is dedicated to preservation of American automotive history. W. Emmert Swigart Sr. the founding partner of an insurance business realized the automotive industry was rapidly developing, resulting in disappearance of early manufacturers. So starting 1920 he collected and salvaged automobiles before they were scrapped. When he died in 1949 his son William E. Swigart, Jr., resumed with expansion of the collection until 150 cars were amassed opening a non-profit museum in 1957.

The Swigart Museum
12031 William Penn Highway
Huntingdon, PA
It is situated 3 miles east of Huntingdon along route 22.
Operating Hours
Open daily Memorial Day through October 31
10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Admission Fee
Adults $7.00
Seniors $6.50
Car clubs $5.00
Children 6-12 $3.00
Under 6 free

A museum gift shop has automobile related items to take something special home.
Huntingdon, PA is a borough 32 miles east of Altoona, 98 miles west of Harrisburg, and 31 miles south of State College. It has a population of 7,093. It was originally settled in 1767 on famous Indian council grounds where Standing Stone Creek joins Juniata River. Budget Magazine readers named it the 5th Coolest Small Town in the US.

Huntingdon, PA is a 4 ½ hour drive of 280 miles from Rochester NY. Drive route 15 south past the Pennsylvania border past Williamsport to US 80 west. Nearing State College PA drive south on US 99 past Altoona. Exit onto route 22 east to Huntingdon.

Here is a visitor’s impression of the car museum.
“It definitely was a great experience for anyone interested in cars.”

Report this ad