Fires can happen anywhere at any time. However, one never thinks it can happen to celebrities. Rocker Ozzy Osbourne and wife experienced firsthand the effects of a small fire in their Beverley Hills home. TMZ reported yesterday that the culprit was a candle which Sharon Osbourne left burning all night. The firefighters got to the Osborne home in time to prevent a major disaster. They put out the blaze and gave Sharon and Ozzy some tips on fire safety.
Now Sharon has some advice for candle enthusiasts everywhere. She told TMZ, "Please everybody always check all the candles lit in the house before going to bed. I didn't, and at 5am this morning I was met with 5 gorgeous men from the BH Fire Department as they put out the fire in my house."
Fortunately, the fire was contained to the living room. However, Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne really needed the tips the firefighters offered. Ozzy had surgery and was left with a bandaged arm prior to the fire which probably left him less mobile than normal. The candle that was set in a vase exploded. His first thought was to air out the room. However, according to Wonderwall, Sharon’s first thought was to put out the fire with water. This proved to be a big mistake as the fire spread.
During the event, Ozzy got his long haired singed by the fire. Wonderwall quotes Sharon who said, Ozzy's front of his hair from (his ear down is), gone! His eyebrows (are gone). ... He's got like, skinned cheeks. We are, like, two idiots -- it was like 'The Three Stooges.’... Everything you are not meant to do -- go to bed with candles alight, open the doors and put water on -- we did it all."
At least Sharon, Ozzy, and the dogs are fine after their fiasco. However, some celebrities did not get off that easily when their home was ablaze because of a candle. Courriermail.com. au reported that Australian celebrity chef Matt Golinski suffered 40 percent burns to his body. He lost his wife and three daughters to that fire.
This is a lesson to all of us. Never leave a candle burning, it can fall over, catch the drapes on fire or explode in a vase which was the way it happened for Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne.