The year 2012 has ended and will fade into other years that have passed. However this will not be a year easily forgotten. The year of 2012 has been very productive and eventful for the Muslims in the Cleveland area. From Mentor Groups to 75th Year Anniversaries, many events will be talked about for time to come. Let’s just recap a few of the most memorable.
• In October held the Masjid Uqbah School of Arabic for Women. In the end of October the new semester started for the Muslim women in Cleveland. Returning and new students showed up ready to engage and learn all they could. Masjid Uqbah provided them with this opportunity. Masjid Uqbah had given them a place to come and learn Arabic, basic and advanced levels. And, they have shared in Quran and Hadith classes. The school even offered scholarships for those who couldn’t afford to come. The women that attended this school not only gained beneficial knowledge but they also gained friends and companions who share the same goal of increasing their knowledge of their religion, Islam.
• In September Masjid Uqbah held an event teaching all about Hajj, pilgrimage to Mecca. This was an event held for both Muslims and non-Muslims to come and learn. People shared real life stories and experiences. Information on the history of Hajj, guidelines, prices, and package deals were discussed here. This class though only lasting one day helped many people in preparing for their Hajj trips.
• Also in September, First Cleveland Masjid celebrated their 75th anniversary. They celebrated with food and games for the children. The adults participated in lectures and the banquet dinner. Many famous guest speakers came to talk and share knowledge.
• July held the 29th Annual Riyaadah. This was a much anticipated event for Muslims here in Cleveland, as well as in other cities. Many Muslims travelled here to Cleveland just for this event. The Riyaadah which was held at Cleveland State University, had lectures and games. A fashion show and vendors were also among the activities there.
• And lastly, Masjid Uqbah also started a Muslimah Mentor Group. This group was designed for new Muslim women and women who wanted to learn more about Islam. The mentors of this group went through all the basics of Islam that one must learn when they become Muslim.
Many new and exciting gathering and celebrations will be sure to come in the New Year.