The Buffalo Zoological Gardens is the third oldest institution of its kind in the United States.
Originally conceived as a deer park in the northeast corner of Frederick Law Olmstead's Delaware Park, The Buffalo Zoo was established in 1875. Spurred on by local donations of animals, The Zoo grew and rapidly developed between 1875 and 1930 and attracted great community interest and involvement. This growth led to the Zoological Society of Buffalo being founded in 1931.
In 1973, operational responsibilities for the Zoo were turned over from the City of Buffalo to the Society, which assembled a professional staff to provide care and oversight for the collection. Since the Society assumed leadership for the Zoo, important capital projects have been completed. Improvements are continually made to make the Buffalo Zoo responsive to the animal's needs and a great venue for family outings, recreation and education.
For more information visit the Buffalo Zoo online