No matter what kind of vacation or trip you are planning, you will need to pack. There are some who are just gifted and can pack efficiently in about ten minutes, while the rest of us fight the urge to include our whole closet in the one small bag we are allowed to take on the journey. Over-packing is a rookie mistake. If you aren’t careful and don’t plan ahead, that free carry-on will become a checked bag (and a costly one, at that). If you are planning on going on a trip this summer, consider these helpful packing tips:
1. The first and most important step is picking out the right luggage. You need to choose a bag or a suitcase that makes sense for the length of your trip. You won’t pack a large suitcase for a two-day excursion, or take only a small bag for a fortnight. Consider how long your trip will be and determine the size of your luggage accordingly.
2. The key to packing efficiently is to understand how to organize. Before you even open your closet, it would be helpful to make a list of what you think you will need. When you see the amount of clothes written down, it might well deter you from over-packing.
3. Once you have your luggage picked out, the next step is to pack the delicate articles of clothing. Make sure you pack a pair of socks, undershirts, and underwear for every day. Depending on your expectancy of formal dress needs – pack accordingly. For shirts and dresses, pack two fewer than the total number of days on the trip. For pants or shorts, pack a pair for every other day. A great space-saver is to wear the same outfit for both flights; this way, you will be saving two days of clothing.
4. Sometimes it’s hard to leave those beloved shoes at home, but try to limit yourself to two pairs of casual shoes (e.g., sandals, sneakers) and a single, more formal pair. It also helps to pick out shoes that can be worn on multiple occasions.
5. Toiletries: Don’t forget those TSA regulations! Make sure everything is in travel size bottles. A great way to avoid being stopped at the security line is to make sure you buy a set of your favorite toothpaste, perfume, lotions, shampoo and conditioner for any time you travel.
6. Once you have all your clothes picked out, the next step is to actually pack everything into the suitcase.
Pack the awkward things first! This can include (but is not limited to) straightening irons, blow dryers, shoes and purses. A great trick to packing clothes efficiently so that they take up the least amount of space possible is by rolling them up. Rolling clothes up can save you a lot of space, and allows you to squeeze additional wardrobe into your luggage. Fold each item of clothing in half and roll it up to first fill in the corners of your luggage.
7. Invest and think about the places you expect to go. It’s easier to pack outfits, so that you won’t have to scramble and attempt to “make” outfits with your limited “suitcase closet” for the extent of your trip.
8. Remember, if you ever find yourself without any clothes, you can always invest in a cheap pair of shorts or shirt to compensate for any under-packing mistake (and this way, you also get an unexpected souvenir).
If you have a passion for traveling, consider a career in hospitality. Star Career Academy offers a Hotel and Restaurant Management Program that can prepare you for a career in the hospitality industry. With a degree from Star Career Academy, you’ll have the opportunity to help people with all of their travel needs.