The fashion world has cycled through just about every decade for inspiration in the past 10 years, so it’s no wonder designers are already looking back to the 1990’s for more trends to re-image for the Spring/Summer 2014 season. The grunge aesthetic has already been worn out in the past couple of years, but the 90’s are a goldmine for other trends and styles. From bra tops and mini skirts to minimalism and logo-mania, just about everything from the 90’s (and even into the early 2000’s) was represented on the runways at NYFW.
1. Minimalism – 90’s minimalism means loose-fitting silhouettes, all-white looks, and as little detail as possible.
2. Teen Queen – The teen queen of the late 90’s ruled high schools everywhere in midriff-bearing halter tops, mini skirts, pastel-colored lips.
3. Street Style – Baggy pants, hoodies, logo prints, and denim were all staples for the 90’s street look.
4. Overalls – Every 90’s kid owned at least one pair of overalls, probably two—a short pair for summer and a long pair for winter.
5. Pile It On – Layering in the 90’s meant tank tops over t-shirts, coats and jackets over hoodies, cropped sweaters over shirts, sweatshirts tied around your waist…