Food exchange list, portion amounts are given for a man weighing 170-pounds and a woman weighing 130-pounds. Any food in a category may be exchanged one-for-one with any food in that category:
Grains, bread and cereals, one serving is about one cup of cooked grains like brown rice, millet, barley kasha, couscous, corn, oats and whole grain pasta.
- One cup of dry cereals, bran flakes, oats, grapenuts. 2-3 slices of whole grain bread, or 3 6-inch corn tortillas or two chapatis or whole wheat pitas.
Vegetables, one serving is as much as you want of lettuce (all kinds),
- Group A Chinese greens and peas, raw spinach, carrots, celery, cucumbers, endive, seaweeds, watercress, green onions and chives.
- Group B One serving is 2 cups of cabbage or alfalfa sprouts or 1 ½ cups cooked bell peppers or mushrooms. or ¾ cup broccoli, green beans, onions
- or mung bean sprouts, or ½ cup vegetable juice cocktail, ¾ cup cauliflower, chard, sauerkraut, eggplant, zucchini, summer squash.
- Group C One serving is 1 ½ cups cooked carrots.
- Or one cup cooked beets, potatoes, leeks, one cup fresh carrot juice or vegetable juice.
- Or one cup cooked peas, corn, artichokes, winter squash or yams.
Fruit One serving is 1 apple, nectarine, mango, pineapple, peach or orange.
- Or 4 apricots, medjool dates or figs, or half a honeydew or cantaloupe.
- Or 20-24 cherries, grapes, or 1 ½ cups strawberries or other berries.
Dairy One cup is 1 cup of whole milk, buttermilk, full fat yogurt for 3 grams of fat.
- Or 1 cup lowfat milk, or yogurt for 2 grams fat.
- Or one ounce of low fat hard cheese like swiss or cheddar.
- Or 1/3 cup non-fat dry milk powder.
Poulty One serving is 4 ounces of white fish for 3 grams of fat.
- Or 4 ounces baked chicken or turkey, white meat, no skin for 4 grams fat.
- Or 3 ounces baked tuna (Bluefin) for 6.5 grams, 3 ounces baked salmon for 9.5 grams fat (omega 3’s).
- Or one cup tuna or salmon, shrimp, scallops, oysters, clams, or crab for 4 grams of fat.
Beef, veal, ham, pork, sausage, bacon are high in saturated fats and cholesterol and may be routinely injected with hormones and antibiotics.
High-protein meat and dairy substitutes, one serving in 4 ounces of tofu (one block).
- Or ½ cup low fat dairy cottage cheese or 1/3 cup ricotta or parmesan or mozzarella.
- Or one egg or ½ cup cooked beans or brown rice.
The purpose of liquid nutrients
Two-thirds of your body water is made inside your cells and the other third is in blood plasma. Your need to drink plenty of water is necessary to metabolize fats for stored fat energy and to release impurities and toxins. Diet fuel like fruit juices for natural sugars, mineral waters and electrolyte replacement are liquid nutrients.
Exaggerated long exercise can cause a drop in blood volume and increases the stress on your heart by forcing it to pump harder. When you exercise fluids help to regulate your body temperature through sweat, a body loss of 4-6% reduces muscle endurance and muscle strength. When you lose more than 6% through sweating severe heat cramps, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, coma and for long distance runners going without water at all can result in death.
Zuzana is your fit video host for today. Namaste. (see video)
To get the latest updates from Atlanta Holistic Health Examiner Tina Ranieri ‘click’ the subscribe button above. To view her body of articles ‘click’ Tina Ranieri, National Holistic Health Examiner, or Atlanta Fishing Examiner.