We've told you before about children who have died from brain-eating amoeba infections contracted from lake water. And it seems each summer there are new cases.
The latest is 9-year-old Kansas girl who died earlier this week, according to doctors.
According to KCTV's recent report on Friday, Hally Yust was an avid water skier, and doctors say she contracted the deadly infection after swimming in several local lakes during the last two weeks.
She was taken to the hospital earlier with meningitis-like symptoms, and testing revealed she had been infected by Naegleria flowleri and died soon after.
The CDC says Naegleria fowleri can be found in fresh water sources, like lakes, rivers and hot springs.
The infection is rare, less than 200 cases in the U.S. have been reported in the last 50 years. But once it's contracted, the amoeba is more often than not fatal.
Fox news reports the ameoba get into the nose and go directly in the brain causing infection in the spinal fluid all around the brain. The brain swells causing seizures, coma and death. Swimming in bodies of warm freshwater is the most common means of infection.
Doctors say using nose plugs while swimming in bodies of warm freshwater and making sure to use distilled water when rinsing the sinuses is the best way to avoid the infection.
The Kansas Department of Health and Environment says this is the second known case of the infection in Kansas since 2011.
Nationwide from 1962 to 2013, there have been 132 cases reported with 34 of those cases occurring from 2004 to 2013. Most cases have occurred in southern-tier states. There is no known way to control the occurrence of Naeglaria fowleri in freshwater lakes and rivers.