/* Style Definitions */
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
Last night, February 24th, was the night of the 85th Academy Awards. This night is the most anticipated night for both fashion and movie lovers. Not only are all cinematic aspects and people involved in creating these cinema experiences appreciated and recognized, but it is also the night during which celebrities take chances when it comes to fashion. This year the host was Seth Macfarlane and the night was magical as always. The opening acts by host Seth Macfarlane and various celebrities (such as, Channing Tatum, ‘Captain Kirk’, Charlize Theron, Daniel Radcliffe, etc.) were filled with hilarity and some corniness, but that should be expected for an awards show. Tommy Lee Jones’ serious picture has been all over the web and Seth definitely pointed it out when his opening line was “This is the beginning of trying to get Tommy Lee Jones to smile”. His opening act continued with poking jokes at celebrities (comparing Django Unchained to a ‘date night’ for Rihanna and Chris Brown), which of course continued for the rest of the show.
The night was also filled with amazing performances by Adele, the cast of Les Miserablѐs, Catherine Zeta Jones doing her single from Chicago, Barbara Streisand and many more! There was also the share of acceptance speeches, which were cleverly cut-off with the Jaws theme if they were running too long, filled with emotions, which really allowed us viewers to realize how meaningful this recognition is to all those who participated. When Ben Affleck chocked up after Argo received the award for Best Picture, it really showed how meaningful this was to him especially after all the hard work that he put into the movie.
The Best Picture award is obviously the most anticipated award and there was a lot of discussion about who would win. However, Best Actor and Best Actress were the other two categories that were highly anticipated. There was a lot of debating about whether Bradley Cooper or Daniel Day-Lewis would take the award for Best Actor and it seemed like the vote was practically split 50/50, however Daniel Day-Lewis ended up winning in the end. When it comes to Best Actress, there was so much variety about votes. Many people were voting for Jennifer Lawrence, but there was so many people also voting for Quvenzhanѐ Wallis as well as Naomi Watts, Jessica Chastain and Emmanuelle Riva. I guess you could say that the votes were split among all nominees. Ms. Lawrence ended up taking the award, but unfortunately she will probably be remembered for tripping up the stairs. However, she pulled herself together and accepted the award with great gratitude.
If you missed the show, here is a list of some of the top awards:
· Best Picture, Writing (adapted screenplay) and Film Editing: Argo
· Best Actor: Daniel Day Lewis for Lincoln.
· Best Actress: Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook. It has been mentioned that she is the youngest Oscar winner while Quvenzhanѐ Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild) is the youngest nominee.
· Actor in Supporting Role: Christoph Waltz from Django Unchained.
· Actress in Supporting Role: Anne Hathaway in Les Miserablѐs.
· Animated Feature Film: Brave
· Cinematography, Directing, Music, Visual Effects: Life of Pi
· Costume Design: Anna Karenina
· Documentary Feature: Search for Sugar Man; Documentary Short: Inocente
· Foreign film: Amour
· Make-up and Hairstyling and Sound Mixing: Les Miserablѐs
· Original Song: ‘Skyfall’ by Adele for Skyfall 007; Sound Editing was also awarded to Skyfall 007
· Production Design: Lincoln
· Short Film (Animated): Paperman; Short film (live action): Curfew
· Writing (original screenplay): Django Unchained
On the fashion note, it seemed that metallics as well as pastels were the most common trends as well as the “undone up-do”. Some honorable mentions fashion wise are:
· Naomi Watts in an Armani Privѐ gown. This gown had a geometric cut around her left shoulder and was metallic grey color. The gown hugged her body perfectly and she paired it with a sophisticated, yet modern, up-do and simple diamond earrings.
· Jennifer Lawrence wore a Dior Haute Couture gown which was definitely something new for the starlet who usually opts for something more slim. The gown was white color with a light pink under-layer and featured floral appliques.
· Reese Witherspoon wore a cobalt blue gown by Louis Vuitton. The color complimented her fare skin and hair perfectly.
· Helen Hunt wore a navy blue gown which she proudly admitted to be from H&M and her own personal pick.
· Anne Hathaway wore a straight Prada dress with a diamond flower necklace. The dress was very plain and many people expected more from this fashion savvy girl. It was also rumored that she would be wearing a Valentino gown, but last minute changed her mind.
· Charlize Theron appeared on the red carpet in a white peplum gown from Dior Couture and a new pixie cut which she pulled off glamorously.
· Jessica Chastain has received a lot of approval for her nude colored Armani Privѐ gown which she “spiced up” with a bright red lip.
· Amanda Seyfriend (an Allentown native) arrived in a gorgeous Alexander McQueen gown (this is only the third time that an Alexander McQueen gown has been worn to an awards ceremony, according to E News).
· Kerry Washington was one of the few stars who chose to wear a bright color. Ms. Washington appeared in a coral Miu Miu gown with an embellished bodice.
· Jennifer Aniston, who has not been to an award ceremony in four years arrived in a red gown (reminiscent of Jennifer Lawrence’s past choice) from Valentino with fiancée Justin Theroux on her arm.
There were, obviously a lot more stars who wowed on the red-carpet. For a full list of nominees, highlights from the night, videos and a slideshow of the red carpet you can visit Oscar.go.com