Call it an act of cosmic justice, or take it as an indication that dogs find the blood sport of dogfighting as hateful as dog lovers do. However, you slice it, one of eight suspects arrested by Florence County sheriff’s deputies on early Saturday was apprehended by one of the abused animals.
According to Opposing Views, one of the suspects was taken into custody after a pit bull involved in fighting “took him down.”
The other seven were taken into custody under more conventional circumstances after deputies discovered a dog fight in progress in a vacant lot. Police had initially gone to that location as part of a lengthy drug investigation, WFMB News reports.
Of the eight men arrested, only one — Edward Windham of Florence — remained in police custody as of Monday. The others were released Sunday morning after being served with bench warrants by a magistrate’s court. The seven, whose names can be found here, were charged with one count each of animal fighting or baiting. Benjamin Harrison, 38, of Florence was additionally charged with first-offense possession of cocaine.
SCNow reports that a temporary dog fighting ring had been constructed on the site that deputies raided. Other items of evidence seized included four vehicles, three firearms, a small amount of powder cocaine and marijuana, and $2,847 dollars in cash.
Captain Michael Nunn with the Florence County Sheriff’s Office told reporters:
It’s difficult for one agency to actually crack one of these rings. That’s why you don’t see it more prominently in prosecutions and apprehensions, but we do the best we can.
The individuals engaged in these activities do so secretively and underground. They are highly secretive about where and when the dog fights are going to take place. It’s … very difficult to break into those circles.
- ‘Follow me on Twitter or I’ll kill my dog,’ fan threatens before killing pet
- Drug bust uncovers dogfighting ring
- More than 150 dogs rescued from Michigan puppy mill
- Feds make 50 arrests in massive MS dogfighting bust
- 20 dogs rescued from massive Mississippi dogfighting ring during raid
- Pet dog, chickens of Sandy Hook survivors killed in fire that destroys home
- 100 dogs rescued in multi-state raid on dog-fighting operation
- Man who claimed to rescue neglected elderly dog charged as abuser (Photos)
- Alabama police break up dogfighting ring, arrest two (Photos)
- 300 dogs rescued in world’s largest dog fighting ring bust
- Boston police bust dog fighting ring
- Dog found close to death ruled victim of dogfighting