Last year I attended Eco Fashion Week in Vancouver, BC. Although I wouldn't consider myself a fashionista, I found it both entertaining and fascinating. The seventh edition of Eco Fashion Week (EFW) is presented at Robson Square in downtown Vancouver, October 6-10, 2013. The five-day event, with the tagline Fashion For Life, Not For Waste, is a platform for responsible fashion. It combines the dazzle of the runway along with discussions about sustainable fashion practices. The dynamo behind the event is Myriam Laroche, President and Founder of Eco Fashion Week.
SEASON 7 SPOTLIGHTS
- Seminars - Presented by Bullfrog Power to encourage both the fashion industry and the public to rethink conventional practices of consumption, distribution and production. Speakers include Stephan Schlosser of Bluesign Technologies in St. Gallen, Switzerland; Amy Roberts, Director of Sustainability at Mountain Equipment Co-op in Vancouver, BC; Dr. Jean-Pierre Haug, Secretary General OEKO-TEX in Zurich, Switzerland; and Carol Korich, lead designer of sustainable materials for Ford Motor Company.
- Nicole Bridger Collection - The Vancouver designer presents her new collection, You Are Not Alone, on opening night of EFW at Celebrities Night Club. Nicole Bridger's fall/wine line is about realizing we are not alone on life's journey.
- Value Village Thrift Chic Challenge - One of my favorite events last year, this is for vintage and thrift shop overs. Stylists Kenneth Wyse, Dandilion Wind Opaine and Laire Bouvier were given a $500 allowance to create ten runway-worthy outfits from gently-used clothing from Value Village.
- Value Village 68 Pound Challenge - The amount of clothing and textiles the average North American tosses out each year is 68 pounds. Designer Evan Ducharme has created a new collection of 68 pounds of gently-used clothing from Value Village.
- twigg&hottie Turns Ten - Glencora Twigg and Christine Hotton developed their business ten years ago. They will be showcasing We3, an in-house brand designed by Twigg, Hotton and Jessica Viara.
- Runway Shows - Presented by My Sister's Closet, a social enterprise of Battered Women's Support Services; Hey Jude; Bhana; Couture Therapy; Dhalia Drive; Sally Omeme; Young Oak + Park; Cherry Blossom Design; and TildArt by Matild Janosi.
- Holt Renfrew Cocktail & Trunk Show - The finale of EFW is a special cocktail and trunk show at Holt Renfrew with a personal appearance by New York based designer Cornelia Guest. Her cruelty-free collection of handbags is carried at Holt Renfrew as part of H Project, a new in-store shop of "extraordinary products and stories."