- Stop talking so much. Women often repeat themselves or talk about unimportant issues. Men tune out a Chatty Cathy.
- Talk to him only when there are no competing distractions. If the TV is on, wait for a commercial and ask him to mute the TV.
- Ask, "Can you hear me?" or "Can we talk for a minute?" before you talk to him about anything important to be sure you have his attention.
- If you believe he's not listening, say, "Tell me what I just said," then wait and see if he heard you. If not, as him to please listen carefully this time.
- When he stops listening, stop talking. Then say, "Let me know when you're ready to listen," and walk away until he's ready.
- Change your tone of voice from irritated or whiny to clear, direct, and confident.
- Make a deal with him: "I'll do this for you if I can have your attention for the next ten minutes.
If you found this tip useful, you will definitely benefit from purchasing Carolyn's book: The 7 Dumbest Relationship Mistakes Smart People Make, spells out the 7 most common mistakes couples make, and how to stop making them.
For more Information, and more free articles on relationships, sign up for the free relationship newsletter at www.carolynsays.com.