Instagram is growing massively! Businesses that want to improve awareness, grow their audience, and increase sales by sharing visual content need to first create an Instagram marketing strategy. Here are a 7 steps to creating that strategy
1. Research and Listen
Start by listening and discover the photos people share related to your business or industry. Discover:
- How users are interacting on Instagram
- What your competitors are doing on Instagram
- What topics, type of content, or comments are popular
- Popular accounts and themes
- How people talk about your industry
2. Develop a marketing strategy
Determine exactly what you want to achieve with Instagram. How do your Instagram goals link to your business or marketing objectives?
3. Determine your target audience
Based on your marketing and business objectives, determine who your target audience is. Research them. Make a list of popular accounts they follow, the photos they like, the photos they share and the hashtags they use.
4. Build your Instagram plan
Determine who in your organization will post and at what times. Make note of hashtags you will use along with hashtags you can encourage your customers to use. Think about how you can utilize Instagram as apart of your comprehensive marketing plan.
5. Connect with people
You’ll get more from Instagram if you connect with other people. Build a following by interacting with other people.
- Mention users that follow you
- Comment on photos that include hashtags you follow
- Include Hashtags in your posts
- Follow users in your industry
- Like photos
6. Implement your plan with best practices
- Share amazing photos
- Use hashtags relevant to your audience and photo
- Post during heavy traffic hours for your audience
- Engage with your audience
- Write clever/catchy descriptions
- Cross-pollinate on other social networks
- Track and adjust
Use sites like IconoSquare (www.iconosquare.com) to track your progress. Adjust your strategy based on what you learn as you go. Continue to test & explore.
7. Measure and link to ROI
Measure your results and don’t forget to link back to ROI (return on investment). Consider the multiple sources of value that Instagram brings to your business.
To learn more amazing Instagram marketing strategies, take a look at Boot Camp Digital's Instagram training course.