Entrepreneurs have unique characteristics that fit well with their desire to build a business. Sometimes, these are similar to those of the young child with vivid imagination and strong desire to obtain something they want. Children must learn new things quickly, adjust their strategies, and work hard to achieve goals they spontaneously desire. Parents often see in their creative children. The child wants something and finds a way to obtain it.
Imagination, enthusiasm, and desire to learn are characteristics of many entrepreneurs. Like children, when the entrepreneur wants something the urge is very strong to achieve it: i.e., nothing stops them until they get it. Children have strong imaginations and find a way to communicate the images to their parents and playmates. The result of the effective communication is the parents help the child obtain what they want. The children see the images, enter the activity, and play the new game.
The following are some of the childlike characteristics that are strengths to the entrepreneur when used correctly.
1. Naivety: Entrepreneurs view their technologies as no lose situations. They never consider the alternatives that the technology is not as attractive to others. This can be strength to the entrepreneur because they discount the negative comments and continue to adjust their directions toward a successful outcome. There is a parallel in science! A joke that circulates in some laboratories conveys the idea. Question: “Why are the new students the ones that win Nobel Prizes?” Answer: “They are too stupid to know that the experiments will not work!” This joke suggests that overlooking the obvious that something cannot work, allows the individual to find ways to make it work. This is often the case for the entrepreneur. They find ways to make the seemingly terrible idea WORK!
2. Energy: Entrepreneurs regardless of their ages are willing to expend large amounts of energy developing their business: sometimes like kids on a sugar high! They work countless hours on their businesses and find the activity exciting. They never seem to get tired and they recharge quickly. This is important because the nature of building a business requires a great amount of energy.
3. Enthusiasm: Like a child with a new toy, the entrepreneur is excited to have the startup. They devote their attention to the business and explore all aspects. They take pride in the endeavors and seek ways to improve all aspects of the business. They are always eager to develop a winning strategy. The business is their baby!
4. Imagination: Starting from nothing to a business idea requires an active imagination. Visually placing the steps together and committing them to a plan. On meeting adversity, the entrepreneur is able to see strategies to solve the problems. They are able to visualize the path and end product of a successful business. These are valuable skills to the entrepreneur.
5. Stubbornness: Entrepreneurs are not willing to give up and they stick to the tasks of building. When situations become extremely difficult, they recharge and work even harder. They never give up and continue pressing forward to the end. If they succeed, it is often because of the continual desire to build a great business and an inability to give up on their desired goal.
6. Hunger: Winning requires a strong desire to succeed. Entrepreneurs have a hunger to achieve the lofty goals they establish. Their desire to build a highly successful business is necessary. Prior failings do not dissuade the entrepreneur from starting over with a new business. They know they will eventually succeed.
7. Communication: From the early idea through the end of a successful business, the entrepreneur must communicate effectively to everyone. They can effectively describe their visions and their wants. The descriptions are vivid enough that others can identify with the images and desire to go along for the ride.
You can follow Taffy Williams on Twitter by @twilli2861 and you can email him with questions at email@example.com or contact him via company contact info in the website. More Startup information is contained in his personal blog.