According to the Small Business Administration, there are over 28 million small businesses in America. These small businesses employ half of the working population, with 52 percent of them being home-based, and many of these being run by couples. One husband and wife team, Elise and Peter Champe, successfully established their own home-based business, despite the challenges that couples may face in trying to do so.
“Sure, working from home with your spouse can present some challenges as anyone can imagine,” explains Peter Champe, co-owner of Baby Comfy Care and Eclipse Sun Products. “But if you want the business and marriage to both succeed, you figure out what works and what doesn’t.”
Here are 6 tips for couples to increase the likelihood of having a successful home-based business together:
1. Be a team. When going into business together, it is important that couples make the commitment to also be a team for their business. Being a team and being on the same page about it is crucial. This means doing things that will better the business, including avoiding petty arguments that will slow progress and growth.
2. Define roles. Each individual will bring his or her own set of strengths to the partnership. Define roles based on what you do best and most enjoy doing. Each person should be responsible for something and be the boss of a particular area.
3. Be respectful. Just as people who work together in offices outside of their marriage need to be respectful of one another, so to do couples. Give each other the same respect that would be given to co-workers in any other setting.
4. Take breaks. Since there is a couple involved, not everything can be all work. It is important to break away from the duties and work and have some fun, take some breaks, and leave it all behind. Plan a lunch outing once a week where no work is discussed.
5. Use humor. When challenges do arise, it will help if they are approached with humor. There are always going to be hurdles for anyone to cross and work their way around. But using humor can make things much more bearable.
6. Consider offices. If possible, consider having separate home offices. This gives everyone their own space and then they can come back together to discuss work items.
“Not every couple is suited to work together, so consider carefully if your styles and strengths will complement the other,” added Elise Champe, Peter’s wife. “That said, a couple that works well together can be highly effective and successful.”The Champe’s are no strangers to home-based business success. They built their companies Baby Comfy Care and Eclipse Sun Products from home, and today their products are available at Walgreens stores nationwide.
One of their most popular products is the Baby Comfy Nose, an aspirator that was designed by Peter Champe, an engineer, who was seeking a solution to his own children’s nasal congestion. The aspirator is BPA-free, made in the U.S., dishwasher safe, hygienic, and highly effective at removing mucus.
In addition to the Baby Comfy Nose aspirator, the company has also created a sun poncho for children, and a revolutionary safety nail clipper. The Baby Comfy Care Products are sold online at the company site, while the aspirator is also sold at all Walgreens retail locations. For more information on the product or to purchase it, visit the site at: www.babycomfycare.com.
Eclipse Sun Products offer sun sleeves and sun gloves, which are popular among people who spend a lot of time outdoors, including golfers, drivers, hikers, and bikers. They are UPF 50+, fashionable, finger-free, and made from high-performance 37.5 sun guard fabric that is moisture wicking and cooling. For more information, visit the site at www.eclipseglove.com.
About Baby Comfy Care
Baby Comfy Care is a Longmont, Colorado-based company that specializes in unique baby care products. Founded by a dad and engineer, their premier product line includes the Baby Comfy Nose nasal aspirator, which is uniquely designed for effectiveness, comfort, and hygiene. The products were designed as real-world solutions to problems that their family encountered with their children. For more information on the company, visit their site at: www.babycomfycare.com.
About Eclipse Sun Products
Based in Longmont, Colorado, Eclipse Sun Products creates a line of fashionable sun protection products. The product line includes UPF 50+ sun sleeves and sun gloves. The products, developed by a physical therapist, help outdoor enthusiasts to protect their hands and arms from dangerous sun exposure. They also have kids’ sun protection products, including a sun poncho and sun sleeves. For more information, visit the site at www.eclipseglove.com.