Snacking on mood-boosting superfoods will help to keep you healthier and happier! "Life is good, but it can also be challenging and intense at times when some of us are under stress and suffering a bit of the blues," says nutrition advisor Wendy Bazillian.
Snack on some of these healthy foods for a healthy mood:
- Eggs: Just 2 eggs give you an entire daily quota of vitamin B12. Egg yolks have choline to boost brain health. And, vitamin B12 is crucial to your brain's supply of good-mood chemicals.
- Spinach: Spinach is chock full of folate. When it comes to our mood, low folate levels have been associated with an increased risk of depression.
- Walnuts: Walnuts are rich in the form of Omega-3 fats; anti-inflammatory to our brain and our body. The formation of healthy neurotransmitters boost seratonin levels in our brain; thus, enhancing our mood.
- Dark Chocolate: Everything happy is chocolate! About an ounce of 70% or higher dark chocolate may be just enough to release the feel good brain chemical serotonin.
- Cinnamon: Compounds in cinnamon have been shown to help regulate blood sugar to beat those mid-afternoon blues. Cinnamon can be sprinkled over Greek yogurt or in a smoothie.
- Wild or Craft-Raised Salmon: Salmon has major Omega-e fats that aid in the formation of neurotransmitters that make us less irritable.
"Living Well...one healthy step at a time"