Being a personal trainer is one of the fastest growing professions. You get to set your own hours, you'll be doing what you love, and you'll inspire others to be the best they can be.
If you are into fitness and have a desire to help others, this may be the career for you.
This article discusses the steps needed to become a personal trainer.
1. You have to know how to be physically fit and a self-motivator. You have to master these in your own life before you can teach others. You have to be physically fit enough to be able to demonstrate a range of exercises to your clients, and to work as hard as, if not harder, than them in order to help them succeed. You have to believe physical fitness goes beyond staying slim. You need to believe that it change and enhance a person's life, and only with a strong belief in this can you motivate your clients.
2. Choose where to get certified. Choose an organization that is nationally recognized and accredited. Most fitness centers and gyms require their personal trainers to have certification from an organization accredited by the National Commission of Certifying Agencies (NCCA).
3. Choose a specialty. Although it's not required, you may want to consider choosing a specialty and getting additional certification. Personal training is a competitive business, and having additional certification is one way to help make you stand out. For example, you could receive certification that teaches you how to work with special groups of people, such as children or adults with special needs.
4. Get a job as a personal trainer at a fitness center. Call the gyms and fitness centers in your area, and ask them if they employ personal trainers. If they say they do, ask if they have any openings and what their application procedure is.
5. Market yourself. You will want to let people know who you are and what services you offer. You can do this by passing out business cards, posting flyers, creating a website, or even by word of mouth. Many people use Facebook and Twitter.
6. Networking. This is key to your business. Attending conferences and conventions is a great way to meet people, keep up with the latest fitness trends and research, and be able to really learn and see how others became successful. There are also websites that make it possible to network with other Personal Trainers online.