From May 3 to June 14 there will be 6 free "Arts in the Park" Concerts at the Wilson's Creek National Battlefield in 2014. Each is on a Saturday night, at 7:00 p.m. [On Saturday, June 7, from 3-8:00 p.m. is the Ray House Jamboree - it is not free; regular admission will be charged, with proceeds from the BBQ supporting the Foundation's proposed activities.]
The 6 free concerts will be:
- May 3 - College of the Ozarks Concert Band - a group of 50+ members will be performing at the battlefield for the first time, playing patriotic selections in front of the Visitor Center.
- May 10 - The Missouri State University Community Band - a 45 member, all volunteer community band, is a a fan favorite. They will return this summer to perform a patriotic concert in front of the Visitor Center.
- May 17 - The Missouri State University Civil War Army Band - also playing at the battlefield for the first time, this group will be performing period music from the 1860s.
- May 24 - High Strung - Welcome back this bluegrass group from the Springfield-Branson area, who started performing regularly at bluegrass festivals in 2004.
- May 31 - The Wings of Swing Big Band - A special treat this year is a versatile group that performs in the traditional big band style from the 30s & 40s to the rock era of the 70s. A group of 9-17 musicians from military missions, music educators, and other instrumentalists, who have performed professionally.
- June 14 - The 135th Army Band - returning this year to perform at the battlefield with their smaller group, called the Country Band, Show Me Country.
Note: Please bring blankets and lawn chairs for all the programs.
For further information, please call 417-732-2662 or find them on the web at www.nps.gov/wicr
Arts in the Park is sponsored by Wilson's Creek National Battlefield Foundation and Eastern National.