Follow these 6 simple steps and your next networking session could bring you to your next great job opportunity.
1. Do keep one hand free so you can shake hands. Don’t bring TOO much stuff with you. A simple binder will usually suffice.
2. Do show respect by arriving early, being totally prepared, being respectful and using the appropriate greetings (Mr, Mrs, Ms, Dr, Father, etc. – as needed).
3. Do bring copies of your resume, your references (if asked for), any pertinent work items (folder of accomplishments, jobs performed or completed, letters of recommendation, etc).
4. Don't tell them your life story; you are dealing with busy people, so get right to the meat of the question and stay on point. Try to get more personal at your second meeting.
5. Don't be shy or afraid to ask for what you need. It helps them read you and see how you will FIT into their company / industry / or with their contacts.
6. Don't pass up opportunities to press for networking contacts, but wait until the end of the session.