Although the cocktail is called an old fashioned, the funny thing about it is that every bartender seems to make it a little differently — not necessarily a good thing. But, jaded fans of the cocktail can take heart: This version from the historic Gallaghers Steakhouse in New York City's theatre district is about as close to perfection as you can get.
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- 3 dashes Angostura orange bitters
- ½ fl oz water
- ½ fl oz Demerara syrup
- 1 fl oz Old Overholt rye
- 1 ½ fl oz Heaven Hill Bonded Bourbon
- Lemon peel and orange peel, for garnish
1. Fill a mixing glass with ice, and add all of the ingredients except for the lemon and orange peel. Stir.
2. Strain over a 2-by-2-in ice cube in a double old fashioned glass.
3. Garnish with lemon and orange peel.