We didn’t post our daily Snow Report this morning for two reasons: it’s very quiet across the state and will remain so until Monday, and we went skiing (yes!). In case you’re wondering, it was a perfect day with deep blue skies and great snow conditions.
The Snow Report will return tomorrow morning, not to report any new snow (there won’t be any), but to update the terrain offerings from Colorado’s ski areas. In the meantime, you should know about what’s happening in Breckenridge tomorrow…
The Breckenridge community will celebrate Ullr Fest’s 50th anniversary Jan. 6-12 with a week-long party paying homage to Ullr (pronounced Ooo-ler), the Norse god of snow. Activities include the notorious Main Street parade, Ullympic competitions, town bonfire, a new family night and more.
Locals started the tradition in 1963 to thank Ullr for Breckenridge’s average of 300 inches of snow each winter. Today, all are invited to join the week-long snow dance and pay homage to Ullr and bring more snow for the remainder of the ski season at this wild Colorado festival.
Here’s a quick look at what’s on tap for this year’s Ullr Fest…
· Sunday, Jan. 6, crowning of the Ullr King and Queen: Toast to 50 years of fun with free beer and live music by The Luv Brother at the Breckenridge Riverwalk Center, 150 W. Adams Ave.
· Monday, Jan. 7, Family Night (new and free): Bring the kids for Nordic skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating, indoor activities and a family-friendly bonfire at the Gold Run Nordic Center on Tiger Road
· Tuesday, Jan. 8, Ullympics: Partake in free wild events such as the frying pan toss, group ski racing and ski boot relay. To sign up contact email@example.com
· Wednesday, Jan. 9, Ullr Dating Game: Join local radio station KSMT and all the singles in town for Breckenridge’s 21+ version of the Dating Game. To apply to be a bachelor/bachelorette (it’s free), call KSMT at 970-453-2234 ext. 20.
· Thursday, Jan. 10, Ullr Fest parade and town bonfire (free): The centerpiece of the week, the Ullr Fest parade showcases Breckenridge’s style of wild winter fun. Past floats have included dogsled teams, hot tubs, a ski jump and more. The parade starts at 4:30 p.m. on Main Street. Parade entries (contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register) are due by Jan. 8. A town bonfire will follow in the South Gondola Lot from 5-7 p.m., and fireworks follow the bonfire at 7 p.m.
· Friday, Jan. 11, Comedy Night: Comedy Works comics descend on Breckenridge for a night of big laughs at Beaver Run Resort.
· Saturday, Jan. 12, Pond Hockey Tournament (new) & Ullr Fashion Show (new): Close out the week with a pond hockey tournament (UllrFest.com for details, call 970-547-9974 to register) and a Viking-themed costume contest.
Breckenridge has a lodging package called Channel Your Inner Ullr that includes a spot on an Ullr parade float, five nights of lodging, a dogsled trip, two-day lift tickets, Chilly Chili Cookoff tickets and Ullr helmets included, starting at $125 per person, per night. Limited parade spots are available. Visit GoBreck.com or call 800-Go-Breck (800-462-7325) to book.
Visit UllrFest.com for event updates and times.