Any manager can build great teams with a few simple exercises. And, every group can benefit from team-building exercises. But sometimes it’s not practical to embark on a full-scale training initiative. Now, supervisors, managers, and team leaders have 50 team-building activities to choose from, all of which can be implemented with no special facilities, big expense, or previous training experience.
These 50 activities and exercises that can get results in just 15 minutes are in the book, Quick Team-Building Activities for Busy Managers, by author Brian Cole Miller.
Readers will find engaging exercises for:
- Building new teams and helping teams with new members
- Dealing with change and its effects: anger, fear, frustration, and more
- Recognizing individual efforts and team accomplishments
- Finding creative ways to work together and solve problems
- Increasing and improving communication
- Leveraging diversity and individual differences to meet team goals
- Keeping competition healthy and productive within the team
Instructions and tips for follow-up and variations are included for each activity, and an additional chapter in the book provides valuable advice for working through unexpected difficulties in team-building.
Every activity takes less than 15 minutes and can be done with only a few materials, or even none at all. Also, there are no "fish bowl" activities in which only a few participants are actively involved while everyone else watches and critiques them; no "touch-feely" activities, no role-plays; and no handouts to prepare, copy, or distribute.
Miller is the owner of Working Solutions, a management and training consultant firm whose clients include Nationwide Insurance, Mailboxes Etc., and Burger King. He is former director of training and development at Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield.