There is plenty of research about the effectiveness of different exercise styles. Researchers have found that some workouts burn more fat than others. But in the end, what matters more than anything is consistency.
So how do you stay more consistent to reach your weight loss and fitness goals? Make your workouts more fun. If exercise is something that you look forward to, you're more likely to make it a priority and find the time to get the job done.
5 ways to make workouts more fun
- Grab a friend. People who stick to their workout programs are generally people who have social support. What’s the best way to get it? Grab a workout buddy. Make a friend at the gym, connect with a coworker, engage your spouse or even bond with someone you meet at church.
- Get creative. Traditional workouts like running and walking are effective, but not everyone likes to do them. If you don’t like standard workouts, make up your own. For example, when the twerking craze hit, women were burning mega calories with the Twerkout. You can do anything that gets your body moving for at least 15 minutes.
- Make indoor workouts fun. People who like to exercise outdoors dread those days when heat, rain or cold keeps them inside. Use these 16 workout boredom busters the next time you have to get your miles in on the treadmill or elliptical.
- Video games. Yep, you read that right. Video games can be great workout tools. I recently reviewed the Goji Play workout machine gaming system and I LOVED it. I’m not even a video game afficienado. You can also try dance games like Just Dance or many of the others available.
- Stair climbing. Short on time and motivation? Go climb stairs. The workouts are short, but effective. Stair climbing provides the necessary cardiovascular and muscular intensity to burn enough fat and shape your lower body at the same time.
Remember, it's less about what you do and more about how often you do it that matters when you try to reach your fitness and weight loss goals. Try to do something everyday and you'll see results faster.