If you haven’t already visited your local Jacksonville Public Library branch and signed up for a library card, now is the time to do it. Below is a list of just a few of the useful resources available at no charge to cardholders at your libraries.
1. Ask a librarian: A free online information service in which library staff from public, academic and special libraries throughout Florida answer your questions in real time through chat. You may also ask a librarian your questions in person at any branch library, though you may wait longer for a response.
2. Computer services: All of Jacksonville Public Library’s 21 branches feature free access to public computers for cardholders. You may use the computers for email, research, job searches and more. The Brentwood, Murray Hill, and Webb Wesconnett branches also offer laptops for in-library use. If you prefer to bring your own laptop, wireless internet access is available at all branches. Wireless internet will also allow you to access the extensive online research databases available throughout the library.
3. Personalized booklist: Looking for great new books to read, but lack the time to browse titles or read reviews? Simply fill out a brief online form with a few questions about your taste in literature, your favorite authors and movies, and your closest branch library. In three to five days you will receive via email a personalized list of five books.
4. Speakers Bureau: Do you belong to a group that would benefit from an informative and instructive speech about navigating valuable library resources? Just log into the library website with your card number and PIN and fill out a Speaker’s Bureau Request Form. The subject list is extensive, and includes financial literacy, small business advice, career resources, and the African American Collection.
5. Income Tax preparation help: Each year during tax season, the Jacksonville Public Library, in partnership with the Real$ense Prosperity Campaign and the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) TaxAide, offers free tax preparation assistance at several library branches and other convenient sites throughout Jacksonville. Click here to view the 2013 schedule.