It's no surprise that the #1 New Year's resolution, every year, is to lose weight. It's also no surprise that the #1 failed New Year's resolution, every year, is losing weight! So, how would you like to beat the weight loss blues once and for all?
Making a single small change to increase your metabolism will not generally result in significant increases, but if you make small changes collectively you can create a positive affect towards increasing your metabolism.
Top 5 Ways To Increase Your Metabolism
- Fluctuate your caloric consumption: If you switch up your calorie intake regularly, your body will require more energy to burn more calories.
- Increase your protein intake: Your body burns up to 30% more calories, or energy, to break down protein.
- Lift weights: Gaining muscle increases your metabolism.
- Consume the right carbohydrates: When you choose foods on the low glycemic index scale and high in fiber; an increase in energy for the body to power the process of extracting the nutrients occurs.
- Little things matter: Step outside of your comfort zone: park further in the parking lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator, stand at your desk for at least one hour a day, swap out soda for water.
"Lifestyle changes are the only viable alternatives for people currently struggling with metabolic problems," says Dr. Barry Goldstein, chief of endocrinology at Jefferson Medical College.
Through multiple small changes; big changes can be made. So, what changes can you make today to jump start your metabolism?
"Living Well...one healthy step at a time"