This weekend is Valentine's Day and President's Day Weekend. If you drove up I-70 in Colorado this Friday night, you are very familiar with the word traffic! Delays were more than 2 hours on average! Don't let that spoil your weekend. Here are some tips to get the most out of your long Holiday weekend.
- Avoid the crowds. Easier said than done. Get out there early. Go in for lunch early so you can ski/ride while everyone else is eating. Stay out later on the slopes while everyone else has gone in for the day.
- Book in advance. You will save more if you purchase in advance. If you did not and you are extending a product in the resort, see if you can get the advance purchase price. It does not hurt to ask. Worst they can say is "no."
- Check the weather forecast. This will help you dress appropriately and layer accordingly. Plus, it will help you choose what lens of goggles or sunglasses to use.
- Carry snacks with you. This will help you avoid the long lines in base lodges and on-mountain restaurants. It will also help you save some money by having an energy bar in your pocket versus paying resort prices for the same energy bar at the top of the mountain.
- Check out the resort's website. Long weekends mean lots of events and happenings. What's going on at the resort you are going to this weekend? Do they have a race going on? Is there a good place to watch the Olympics? Do they have a free concert happening? Find out so you are in the know.
Follow these simple tips and you will have the best President's Day Weekend. Remember that there could be a lot of skier traffic returning on Monday on the Colorado I-70 corridor. Plan accordingly or hurry up and wait!
Enjoy the snow!