If you did not know it, January is Learn to Ski and Snowboard Month. This means that there are some great deals out there to take advantage of from resorts. Learning a new sport can be challenging and frustrating. This is especially true if your expectation, having never skied before, is to make parallel turns from the top of the mountain to the base. Here are some quick tips to help you get the most of your first day out.
- Take a lesson. Spend the money and go out with someone who is trained in teaching others how to ski or snowboard.
- Have realistic expectations. You may be a "natural" and get it right away. Or it might take you a little while. Stick with it and realize that everyone learns at different rates.
- Eat breakfast. You will need some energy your first day out so eat a well-balanced meal.
- Drink plenty of fluids. This is especially true at higher elevations. Drink water and stay away from the caffeine and alcohol (until after your first day out if you are 21+).
- Remember to breathe. Learning something new can be scary. Many times our muscles will tense up when we are nervous. Take deep breaths and smile, you are outside after all!
Follow these simple tips to maximize your first time out!