August 30, 2013
Visiting Maui is like visiting paradise—warm weather, sandy beaches, spectacular sunsets. If you happen to make that trip a family vacation, here are five things to do with kids between 5-8 years of age.
- Build sandcastles on the beach and play in the surf. One option is Kahana Beach. Not too busy, small waves. If you forgot your sand toys, check the hotel you are staying at before buying more. Chances are your hotel will have a stash you can borrow from.
- Go to a Lu'au. You have several excellent choices. The Old Lahaina Lu'au has plenty of green space for wandering kids, good food and drinks. It had activites such as dance and music instruction before dinner and the show. Or watch the more dramatic Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt. Not able to afford a lu'au? Check local marketplaces for free shows to get your dance fix.
- Snorkeling. Kaanapali Beach is great for young kids. Beautiful beach with easy access to some great snorkeling.
- Walk the shops of Lahaina and eat shave ice.
- Visit the aquarium. Good to know... a good portion of the aquarium is outside, so if you are escaping weather or sunburns, plan appropriately. Prepare to spend 1-2 hours. This is a great way to learn about fish they saw or will see while snorkeling, as well as get a shark and turtle fix.