5 Tech Predictions for 2013....
2013 will be an exciting year for tech. As we transition into 2013, here are my predictions for some of the major events to see in tech for 2013...
Which will prove true and which will fall flat on their face? Time will tell...
1. Android Tablets will Outsell Apple
- Android phones already outsell iPhone by a large margin. Android has more manufacturers making more models at more price points than any other mobile operating system. With the flexibility of Android, the open nature of the platform, the spectrum of available devices, Android seems poised to add the Tablet world to their list of victories.
2. Blackberry Fails to Survive
- It's been no secret the RIM has been failing for the last 2 years. But they are poised to launch their newest and most revolutionary product this month, The Blackberry 10. With this new touchscreen OS, and new hardware to boot, RIM is looking to restore their place in the mobile market. But the fact is, that RIM failed to adapt to the significant shifts in the Mobile market started bu the release of the original iPhone, and they just have too many hurdles to overcome with the new device to save themselves. Namely: Getting developers to make apps, and surviving the damage that the new hardware will do to the decades old Blackberry business model: Subscriber Fees.
3. Chromebooks still struggle to become Hot Sellers
- Google's Chrome browser is fantastic. But changing the browser into a self sufficient OS ecosystem has proved more difficult than imagined for Google. Chromebooks look sleek, sexy and svelte, they are relatively cheap and small. But make no mistake, your $249 Chromebook is an Internet Browser with a case. Without a web connection the machine is virtually useless. the hardware is severely underpowered. There is no offline File Management system. Google may end up retooling Chromebooks to be better, but 2013 is not looking to be the year of the Chromebook.
4. Windows Phone finally grabs the #3 Mobile Platform spot.
- Windows Phone 8 Finally gets the Windows Phone concept right. It's fast as hell, sexy, and it's finally getting quality hardware treatments thanks to Microsoft's partnerships with Nokia and HTC. With RIM troubles coming to a head, and the device convergence selling points of the Windows 8 Platform, Windows Phone is looking to finally have a good year. A REALLY good year.
5. 2013 becomes the most Competitive Mobile Market year, EVER
- With manufacturers who have been virtually unheard of outside Asia and Europe beginning to bring some INCREDIBLY powerful and Feature rich phones to the US, we are set to see other manufacturers scramble to keep your business. While both ZTE and Huawei are releasing beastly 5" Smartphones with Quad Core processors, 2GB of Ram and 13MP Cameras, and Samsung, Nokia, Sony and HTC all set to release some blockbuster devices in the coming months, the gloves are about to come off as Manufacturers get competitive..