A Course in Miracles and other spiritual paths suggest that we co-create our lives. So, why would we create unpleasant things? This is because the world we see is a reflection of our own mind. We have a Higher Mind, which is our spiritual self and a Lower Mind, which is our perceived separate self or ego. The Higher Mind creates from love and the Lower Mind creates from fear.
As a human being, we are really spiritual beings having a human experience, which is one of duality and polarity. So, we create beauty and we create ugliness.
Our thoughts are creative and they project what we believe to be true. We may commit to thinking positively and in doing so, we co-create positive experiences with the Universe.
However, we also have an ego (the Lower Mind which allows us to have a human experience) and the ego will always create from fear because it is the part of your mind that believes that we are separate from God and alone and limited in the world.
So, even though you commit yourself to positive thinking, there are parts of the human mind that will always doubt and fear because that is its function - even when subconscious.
If we have spent a lot of time worrying about something in the past, it may show up in our lives in the form of an unpleasant experience now in the present. All we have to do about this is notice when we are not at peace with our life situation and follow these steps:
- Ask what the unpleasant experience may be showing us from which we can learn something important or beneficial.
- Simply forgive ourselves for having created from a place of fear.
- We can then surrender the situation to our Source (God, Universe, Love, Higher Power, or whatever you like to call it). A great exercise to help with detaching from worry is to create a “God Box”. This is where youwrite down the fear you have on a sheet of paper and place the paper in a box and close it and put it away. This represents letting go and letting God. It’s fun to go back later and see how many of your fears were healed by giving them to your God Box rather than by carrying them in your mind.
- Ask through prayer or meditation that our minds be healed of any doubt or fear that may have created this situation.
- We then use our will to consciously direct our minds and thoughts towards how we want things to be, or at least create an open space to be shown a more peaceful outcome that is best for all involved.
The higher thought always wins and as long as you consciously attempt to surrender fear to your Higher Power, and keep your mind at peace, you will notice that the unpleasant situations either resolve themselves, or they simply cease to bother you anymore. The goal is always peace. The key to peace is remembering that we are one with our Source.