The Capital Region's car shopping service, BuyYourCarWithFred.tumblr.com, has just celebrated its first anniversary. Hundreds of new car owners drive their new vehicles with confidence that they avoided the car dealer traps.
Here's a sampling of advice owner Fred Elia offers clients:
- Stay focused and tune out dealer tactics, such as demanding a cash deposit to show you mean business, changing salespeople in the middle of a negotiation, or asking for an unusually high payment.
- Speak only to decision makers. Tell the dealership up front that you want the manager in on the discussions because you don't want to waste time. Politely leave if they don't agree.
- Be businesslike. Nothing frustrates sales people more than informed, calm, friendly customers. Never raise your voice; don't hesitate to repeat yourself.
- Put everything in writing. Take notes as you negotiate. After agreeing, put it in writing and don't sign until you understand everything.
- Know when to walk away. Not happy with the interaction or sure how to proceed? Just walk out...politely, saying thanks, and take your business elsewhere.
Buying a car is a huge event. Get prepared, or better yet, let BuyYourCarWithFred.tumblr.com walk you through the process.