For all of you Los Angeles style buffs who melt over swoon worthy street styles, you know the excitement that comes along with glamming up for a day out and about. You’ve seen these style mavens everywhere from Venice to the Third Street Promenade to the Grove all donning their most beloved frocks in search of a lens worthy photo-opt.
What do all of these women (and men) have in common? Well other then the fact that these individuals define LA street style, the majority of them have also mastered the art of street style. Street style gives the world access to the unique and versatile styles that define fashionistas of the particular city in which they call home.
If you’re imbued enough with the idea of developing your own street style or are inspired by popular street style regulars (Editors, fashion bloggers, models, stylist and other fascinating people) then these 5 tips will help you cultivate your own street style.
1. Define your personal style. Do you consider your style more glamorous, preppy or eccentric? If you’re not quite sure what realm you fit in there are numerous style quizzes in magazines and online to help you narrow down your search.
2. Take a good look at your closet and mix and match depending on your mood. It’s always a good idea to mix up options when you’re feeling in the moment. At times the mood calls for relaxed and casual, in others bold and adventurous, whatever the calling mixing and matching by layering on your favorite styles is fundamental in street style decorum.
3. Wear what you most feel comfortable in. Okay so the 5-inch strappy sandals with the spiked heels is all the rage but may not be to your liken! Just because everyone’s wearing it doesn’t mean you have to. It’s important to choose your style accordingly, you can’t be confident if you’re feeling uncomfortable. Know your body and stick to what makes you comfortable.
4. Look to magazines for inspiration. Fashion magazines have always been the traditional source for influential styles. If you’re feeling in a rut, pick up a magazine and browse through, pay attention to the detail and creativity behind some of the ads it may influence your next look.
5. Be yourself. This is perhaps the most important of all street style tips and the grand rule for life in general. Always be yourself. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen so many pretentious street style wannabes that throw on the most outrageous frocks just to attract attention. If you’re dressing up as a method for attention rather than an expression of your style then you really aren’t the archetypical street style maven you think you are.