It has been said that everyone is not meant to be an entrepreneur. I beg to differ, most people are entrepreneurs except they enjoy working and building the businesses of others instead of themselves. Therefore, they would be classified as intrapreneurs. There is nothing wrong with that if that is what you enjoy. Listed below are 5 reasons why people are afraid to depend on themselves for financial survival.
- Fear of the unknown- This is the greatest barrier to the success of many. It dominates, manipulates and transpires the strong into dependent, weak individuals. When you are accustomed to receiving a salary, it’s difficult to transition to possibly not receiving one. The ups and downs can be unbearable if you are not prepared in advance.
- No support from others- When others don’t support your viewpoint or your choice to leave a job and become an entrepreneur, it can be lonely. One may feel as though they are isolated from the “normal” way of doing things. They become distracted by the thoughts and opinions of others and often give up without giving their choice a chance.
- Not enough experience- Some of the richest business owners are college dropouts. Educational level is not indicative of success. However, there is a distinct characteristic that these individuals share. All were driven from one aspect or another. Their desire was greater than their fear and their belief in themselves carried them to success.
- Time involved- Starting a business is typically not an overnight success. Even though the idea can be conceptualized during that time, developing it into a successful enterprise requires time. The desire to start is always present, but to actually put the dream into action can be mind boggling, not to mention time consuming and possibly costly.
- Lack of direction- Starting without a defined plan, confuses the beginning the middle and the end. A business plan is essential for any business venture, small or large. Most people don’t know where to begin when seeking to start a business. They often open up shop without research and baptize their business to be doomed from the beginning.
Entrepreneurship is like none other. There is a sense of pride that one has that causes you to stick your chest out with a sincere accomplishment that you made it happen. Those who attempt to seek the other side often enjoy it so much that the thought of being under the leadership of someone else becomes frightening. These fears can become strengths with self-confidence, self-reliance, guidance, a plan and a whole bunch of faith. Be determined to achieve your goals and stay focused on what you want to accomplish. If you want it, you can have it with effort and action.