The hot weather is on its way out and some cooler temperatures will be coming in. A great time to grab a pole and head to so me of the prime bass fishing locations around Jacksonville. We're going to share 5 favorites with you today.
1. Rodman Reservoir - Located South of Palatka on Highway 19 Rodman Reservoir is a bass fishers paradise. This is the place to catch large mouth bass and bream. If like to camp and fish we reccomend the Rodman Campground. I recently visited both areas and was reminded Beware of the Alligators. This is a beautiful area to find an abundance of wild life also.
2. Lake George - Lake George is the second largest freshwater lake in Florida. Lake George has high salt content. In fact it is home to one of the only fresh water blue crab fisheries. There are multiple areas along Lake George that are fine areas for catching bass. For more detailed information about Lake George visit the Lake George Information website.
3. Black Creek / St.Johns River - The St. Johns River is a great location for large mouth bass fishing . There also multiple areas for wade fishing here. Schooling bass are present year around .The Julington Creek area and canals are worth a check out. Black Creek is deep and vegetative making it a great place for both bass and bream. Artificial baits work best for pulling in your bass here. A great local contact for the area is Whitey's Fish Camp: 904-269-4198.
4. Kingsley Lake - Kingsley Lake is almost completely round with a sandy bottom and the deepest area being about 90 feet. Local fishermen say the best area to catch the big bass is in areas of grass with about 20-35 feet depth. Fish the bottom and use your artificial worms is what they say will catch you that big one.
5. Lakes of the Ocala National Forest - Ocala National Forest is home to some prime bass fishing lakes. There are many. Today I'm going to mention Lake Kerr and Wild Cat Lake. Wild Cat Lake is both clear and deep. It is a prime fishing spot , as well as skiing and a swimming area. Wild Cat Lake has been known for bass around 14 lbs and less. Lake Kerr is renowned for the excellent bass fishing . You can find it between CR 316 and CR 314 just West of Salt Springs. It is FREE to fish here. Lake Kerr is known to house some serious sized bass. Anyone fishing in the Ocala National Forest must have a valid Florida Fishing license.