Adrienne Herrick rushed to Botsford Hospital in Farmington Hills, Michigan to find her son, Cameron, in critical condition.
Cameron had swallowed his infant pacifier that had been given to him at the hospital when he was born. The pacifier was lodged in his throat that blocked his airway, and he almost choked to death.
Doctors immediately began performing life-saving measures on the baby, but they couldn't remove the pacifier.
Doctors performed a cricothyrotomy according to Fox News. It's a procedure rarely used, but a needle was inserted into Cameron's trachea that allowed him to get oxygen around the pacifier that was blocking his airway. Then Cameron was rushed into surgery, where an ear, nose and throat surgeon carefully removed the pacifier piece-by-piece.
Dr. Angel Chudler said, "It was the scariest case in my 10 years of practicing."
The baby's mother said, "That pacifier is as big as his face." She still doesn't understand how such a large object could have gotten so far down her son's throat.
Cameron is now 7 months old and has fully recovered.