If you're not having long-term success with weight loss and fat loss, there are reasons. You need to identify the reasons or you will continue to go in circles. Some of you are so frustrated that you have stopped trying to burn fat and lose weight to transform your body to lean and healthy.
If you are in this situation, get help from a personal trainer. Part of the first fitness consultation with a personal trainer will include you identifying why your fitness goals have failed in the past. Another part of the consultation is for you to visualize and set realistic fitness goals you are willing to work towards.
In my experience with clients, these 5 things slow or stop success towards fat loss and weight loss goals:
1. Fear of failure. Many of you have tried over and over to lose fat and weight. When fear or deep frustration creeps in, it can paralyze you into doing little or nothing to reach your goals. Its hard to keep trying. Its easier to quit.
According to the Mayo Clinic, you should focus on the process rather than the outcome.
The Mayo Clinic goes on to say, "Exercise regularly is an example of a process goal, while "weigh 145 pounds" is an example of an outcome goal. It's changing your processes — your daily behaviors and habits — that's key to weight loss, not necessarily focusing on a specific number on the scale. Just make sure that your process goals are specific, measurable and realistic, too."
In my practice, that means clients commit to regular strength training, cardio training and changing eating habits.
2. Low self esteem. This affects every area of life and not just setting and reaching fitness goals.
According to Cognitive Therapy Associates, "Self-esteem, self-confidence, self-image...these are the trio that intertwine and perhaps have the most significant impact on a person's well-being and enjoyment of life."
"Therefore, we find that self-esteem is often at the core of a variety of psychological difficulties. Low self-esteem shows up in depression, anxiety (especially social anxiety), eating disorders, addictions, relationship problems, communication problems, and more. One may have rather high self-esteem under certain conditions, but in others, it may waver."
3. Achieving fitness goals takes hard, smart work. How bad do you want to change your body? You will have to commit to regular strength training. Only doing cardio sessions for exercise will not build muscle mass and tone your body.
4. Confidence in the weight loss methods is lacking. Many of you have used weight loss and fat loss methods that don't work such as fad diets, weight loss pills, patches, powders, etc. So, you are skeptical as to whether a personal trainer's methods will work.
5. Perseverance. Commitment to a fit lifestyle trumps all other fitness goals. There will be setbacks and failures along the way. If you commit to the fit lifestyle first, you will reach your goals with the right guidance.
Every day, try to take steps forward to reach your goals. Even if you take a step back today, don't let it stop you from taking steps forward tomorrow.
You have to be honest with yourself to set weight loss and fitness goals. Sometimes the truth hurts. That's okay. Just make the commitment and get the guidance and support you need to reach your goals.
If you need Motivation and Accurate Information to make your best body.......
Be sure and download your FREE 7-Day Body Makeover Jumpstart e-Course, which shows you how to totally remake your body a healthy and lean fat-burning machine!