What motivates children to do their best, and how do we clarify areas for improvement? There are new apps that let you customize incentives or create behavioral charts that travel with you to the grocery store, mall, piano lessons, or wherever kids may need reminders of family policies regarding discipline, responsibilities, and/or rewards.
Some of these apps help empower kids reach out to you with progress notes when you're not home. Others offer kids reminders of heartfelt family expectations. If you decide to use star charts, tallies, smiley faces, chore boards, or allowance systems, definitely take advantage of customizing features such as photos and constructive phrases that help encourage kids do their best.
1. iRewardChart (by GotClues Inc.) is designed to help parents, children, and families keep track of behaviors and chores. Personalize your app with each child’s photo, name, lists of desired tasks, rewards, and their relative value (such as 25 stars = a sleepover). Nice clarity!
2. Hi Mom! (by Mrs. Judd's Games) lets kids at home send quick captioned photo messages directly and safely, from their app, to a parent at work. Kids and sitters will love updating you about completed piano lessons, chores, or behaviors being reinforced at home. No charts. Just smile, snap, caption, & send...keeping parents in the loop any time of the day.
3. Buckaroo - Cashless Allowance Manager (by Exact Magic Software) is a super simple app that helps families sync their devices to offer young kids consistent feedback about the status, goals, interest rates, and progress of their virtual allowance accounts. Use this app for kids not yet ready for those apps that sync to actual bank accounts.
4. iReward (by Grembe, Inc.) takes a particularly positive approach. Add before/after photos, voice recording of family praise, and imported snapshots of special rewards worth earning. Change tokens to coins, stars, or smileys when novelty is needed.
5. Potty Charts (by Big Red Apps) is specifically designed to provide clarity and rewards related to childhood potty training with several categories such as flushing and hand-washing included. Adorable toy tokens are bright & childlike.