Check the ingredients of your favorite cosmetics We live in a world where makeup is big business. In fact, sales are estimated to reach over $58 billion this year for cosmetics. With the natural and organic makeup sector growing to $9 billion in sales, according to the Organic Monitor, it’s clear that people are searching for safer products. As people focus on how the makeup they wear looks, they may be missing out on what’s lurking inside that may potentially damage their health.
“People love to wear makeup, and that’s understandable, but it is important to pay close attention to the quality of makeup and what ingredients are in it,” explains Crystal Wellman, owner of the Crystal Clear Acne Clinic. “Even being natural or organic doesn’t necessarily mean there’s nothing harmful in it.”
While there are numerous chemicals that go into makeup, there are some that stand out more than others as ones that should be avoided. Here are 5 potentially harmful chemicals that may be lurking in your makeup:
- Phthalates- Occurring in many types of cosmetic and personal care products, phthalates have come under fire for their possible link to endocrine disruption and developmental and reproductive toxicity, according to the Breast Cancer Fund.
- Lead-Often found in sunscreen, lipstick, foundation, and other cosmetics, lead is a neurotoxin, which can lead to behavioral and learning problems. It has also been linked to such things as infertility, early puberty, and miscarriages.
- Aluminum-This metal is believed to mimic estrogen, which can lead to DNA damage. It is also under suspicion by many who find it may have an association with breast cancer occurrence.
- Talc-A mineral, this has had mixed results that have linked it to certain types of cancer.
- FD&C Colors and coal tar- Certain colorings can give people allergic reactions and have been linked to various health problems. Coal tar has also been linked to cancer.
“Rather than simply like the color or name brand on cosmetics, take a look at the ingredients,” added Wellman. “If you find harmful chemicals in there, choose something else. They are not worth the risks that you may be taking by using them on a regular basis.”
Crystal Clear Acne Clinic is a new full-service skin care clinic located at located at 1210 Princess Anne St. Suite A in Fredericksburg, Va. The clinic offers skin care treatment for a wide variety of conditions, including acne, rosacea, and aging. The clinic is owned by serial entrepreneur Crystal Wellman, who is a Master Aesthetician and also owns Ladyburg, a skincare store. She is also a certified acne specialist, and is also certified in the areas of oncology, dermaplane, and microdermabrasion. For more information on the Crystal Clear Acne Clinic visit their website at www.crystalclearacneclinic.com.
About Crystal Clear Acne Clinic
The Crystal Clear Acne Clinic is a new treatment clinic, located at 1210 Princess Anne St. Suite A in Fredericksburg, Va. The clinic is owned by Crystal Wellman, a Master Aesthetician and serial entrepreneur. Those who have skin conditions related to acne, rosacea, and aging, among others, will find unique treatment options available at the clinic. The clinic provides individual treatment plans and takes an integrative approach.