Intro: Don't you wish those mouth-watering meat pie recipes that you read about in all the fairy tales would just appear on your table like they do in stories like The Golden Goose or The Hobbit? Well, these delectable meat and potato pie recipes aren't magic -- but almost. Many of them are waaaaaayyy easy to make. One provides you with a way to make meat pies with vegan meat substitutes. And a few give you tips on how to make a simple meat pie crust, including the English recipe that only calls for refrigerated biscuit dough and a little patience.
If you're looking for tips on how to use up some leftover prime rib, new ideas for recipes with meat alternatives or you really just want to learn how to make a British meat pie, then read on!
These are delish enough to rival the delectables in Red Riding Hood's gift basket and hearty enough to keep you from howling like the hungry wolf!
How to Make English Meat Pies
This ones the easy meat pie recipe. It just calls for some ground sausage, some savory vegetables and spices and biscuit dough for the meat pie crust. It's the best recipe to make if you're in a hurry.
Easy British Meat Pies Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb sausage
- 1/4 c. chopped onion
- 1 diced celery stalk
- 1 diced carrot
- 1/2 c. mashed potatoes (Or try this Colcannon potatoes recipe for extra heartiness plus some greens)
- salt, pepper, garlic powder to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
English Meat Pie Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush a baking sheet lightly with olive oil to prevent sticking unless you're using a non-stick dough.
- Mix the sausage, onion, carrots, mashed potatoes and spices together in a bowl.
- Roll out the biscuit dough. Cut 12 of them.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out round shapes in the dough.
- Dollop a bit of the meat pie recipe mixture into one side of the dough.
- Fold the dough over to form half-moon shapes. Pinch the sides closed.
- Brush some of the beaten egg on the crust.
- Pop into the oven for 15 minutes or until they turn brown.
Other Meat Pies Recipes
- Don't know what to do with your prime rib leftovers? This simple old-fashioned meat pie recipe will bring a meat and potato pie recipe to your table that even Jack's giant will love! Just chop up your favorite prime rib recipe and then follow the instructions in the meat pie recipe.
- This vegan meat pie recipe is so easy to make. If you're like me and need a little hand-holding when it comes to using meat substitutes in dishes to good effect will love this recipe!
- If you're hankering to try a recipe for a sweet mince meat pie, you'll like this Scottish meat pie recipe. It calls for lamb instead of beef -- although I suppose you could use beef for it. It's oh-so-tasty and so traditional! It's a great dish to serve at Christmas time!
- For instructions on how to make an Aussie meat pie recipe, take a gander at the video that accompanies this article.
Here are Some Other Tips for Your Enchanting Meat Pies Recipes:
If you're looking for some tasty meat substitutes to make your easy meat pies into vegan dishes, take a look at these sources for other ideas. If you're making the transition to a meatless diet or just want some variety, you'll want to bookmark these!
PETA Recommends….Favorite Meat Substitutes
Vegan Outreach…Some Vegetarian Meat Substitutes
Oh My Veggies Shows You How To Use Veggies Instead of Meat in Your Favorite Dishes
If you thought this article was helpful, then please share it via social media or email with your friends and family!
Follow me on Twitter
Or on Pinterest
Or subscribe to this column for FREE updates right in your mailbox!
If you love food and fairy tales, then be sure to stay tuned to my column over the next several months. I'm exploring the role that food plays in fairy tales and literature, trying out economical and tasty recipes -- including some meatless alternatives -- and giving my recommendations for readings from both the food and literary world along this theme.