Sean Patrick Brennan is the author of Heaven, Hell, and the Planet In Between, available for purchase on Amazon and online bookstores everywhere. An accomplished writer with a unique background and history that's hard to match, Sean is also a former monk, Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol deputy, and social activist on a national and international level.
You're feeling detached, alone, depressed, or lost. We all feel this way from time to time, certainly some of you more than others. And whether you consider yourself spiritual or not, you chose to read this article. Some part of you decided to give this a chance. So take a moment and read through these five easy ways to get in touch with God right now.
1. Go outside and touch nature. Just hold onto a tree or a leaf with both hands and feel the energy that keeps this life form growing back year after year. Know that unlike human beings, plants grow up from the dirt and need that dirt their whole life long. When you too are grounded in nature, you can find yourself planted in the garden of divine knowing.
2. Listen to your neighbor, your colleague, family member, friend, or partner. Really, really listen to them. Try not to share your thoughts. Just listen to them speak and let them feel how much you care about their words. It'll be a thrilling experience for both of you! By being the silent, unconditional lover in those moments, you will come to feel God within you.
3. Find a place where you can be alone, and talk out loud to God. Maybe you want to say how grateful you are for the happiness you feel, or maybe you're actually quite angry or sad. Yell at God if you need to! Just speak your truths out loud! So often in life we keep our feelings bottled up, and we need to express ourselves more openly and honestly from time to time. The same goes for our relationship with God. We can only help ourselves by expressing all of our joys and pains out loud to God.
4. Love yourself. Put your left arm across your chest and under your right arm. Then cross your right arm over until your right hand is on top of your left shoulder. Hug yourself, and let yourself feel the hug you need. And whenever you can, get that kind of warm hug only a close friend, family member, or loved one can give you, the kind of embrace that lasts long and heals deeply.
5. Be. Sit somewhere away from everyone and just be. If you have a few minutes (or even if you don't, make the time!), recite the phrase, "Be still and know that I am God," five times very slowly. Then change it to "Be still and know that I am," five more times. And then, "Be still and know" for another five times. After that, just say, "Be still," five times. And as your heart rate has slowed and you've allowed yourself this special time to meditate and commune with God, just say, "Be" five last times.
God is already with us even when we haven't thought of God for a while. We are one with God always, and we are part of the divine spirit that has always been, and which always will be. Use these tools to help your soul re-find God today. You'll learn the answers were always just a few minutes away!